Thursday, April 30, 2015

NOTHING LASTS BUT IT’S STILL WORTH DOING


 From about age 10 to 75,  I would read the daily comic strips in the newspapers, like The Daily NewsPM, The Los Angeles Times, or Newsday.  Every once in a while a strip would disappear.  I learned later that was because the cartoonist died or retired and the syndicate did not hire another artist to take it over.  I was fond of Crockett Johnson’s Barnaby in PM (having a fairy godfather whose cigar was a magic wand had a terrific appeal) when it suddenly disappeared. Al Capp’s Li’l Abner also disappeared as did virtually all of my favorite strips over the years. What they shared in common was the silence accompanying their disappearance.  For reasons I don’t know, there is no “obituary” notice for a dead comic strip or dead newspaper column.  Sometimes a columnist is lucky and can write a final farewell to faithful readers of some 20 or 30 years but more often it is just the sudden unexplained disappearance.  I would sometimes realize a strip was gone and check back a few issues and realize I had not noticed it gone on the day of its disappearance.  A day or so later I would feel as if something is gone but wouldn’t immediately recall what was missing. These are tricks of the mind and even more insidious is our tendency to let the past go.  Just traces of the hundreds of strips I read over the years remain in my memory (Dinky Dinkerton, Gasoline Alley, the Bungle Family, Brenda Starr). The same thing happens with colleagues who die or who move on to other institutions.  Their memory fades from day to day conversation.  I once pointed out in a Life Lines column that there was a short life to fame for Nobel laureates.  Most people can name only a small handful of Nobelists.  I used  my grandfather’s employer in Stockholm, a physicist named Gustav Dalen.  Who on earth remembers him now? 
I experienced the same disappearance for my column Life Lines which began in March 1997 and disappeared from the print version of the TBR [Times-Beacon-Record] newspapers of Long Island. They carry a supplement called Arts and Leisure and my column appeared every other week until 2015. That comes to about 430 columns published.  They were about 500 words in length. I have shifted to posting what would have been new Life Lines columns to Bloggerelof Blogs at bloggerelof.blogspot.com and I usually let readers know of new postings on Facebook.  I have done about a dozen of these since the demise of my Life Lines column.

I t would be hubris to believe that a comic strip or newspaper column can go on indefinitely.  Tastes change. Fresh outlooks are always in demand. Without our being aware, our values, interests, style, and topics subtly permeate our comic strips or columns. Just as subtle are the new ways a younger generation looks at writing.   If I pick up a book written in the 1660s like Pepys’ diary it is strangely different in its vocabulary or sentences (“betimes”, “my Lord”).  Victorian novels have a heaviness and wordiness in their long sentences. A century from now what you write will look quaint and dated to your descendants. Who signs off a letter with “your obedient servant”?  But the pleasure of writing and communicating to one’s own generation is sufficient justification to go on writing or drawing cartoons. It is also a way, in our little victories in a difficult life, to say, like a cave dweller some 20,000 years ago, blowing ochre pigment to reveal his or her hand held against a wall, whether intended or not, “Look at me, look at me, I existed.”   

No comments:

Post a Comment