Sunday, May 24, 2015

THE WHOLE AND THE PARTS: A COMPARISON OF PEOPLE AND SOCIETIES



        I am one person, with a name given to me at my birth.  I am unique because no one else has lived my life exactly as I have.  I arose from a single cell and now am composed of some 20 trillion cells. I learned as an undergraduate that my cells are capable of forming four types of tissues—nerves, muscles, connective tissues, and epithelial tissues.  The connective tissues form a matrix around them like blood, bone, or cartilage.  Epithelial cells form the lining of organs like skin, or the insides of guts or blood vessels.  When I signed up for a course in histology (the study of tissues) at NYU I was given a box with 100 slides in them.  Each had different representatives of the four types of tissues.  We had to learn to recognize all of them. As I reflected on what I learned about biology, I realized that while I am one person, I am a community of cells.  I am a cooperative community of cells because I can move with the use of my muscle cells.  I can secrete digestive enzymes because of my epithelial cells.  I can receive oxygen for my tissues because red blood cells do that.  I can think because I have nerve cells.  Each tissue has its own collection of cells modified for a special function.  Muscle can be voluntary like those in our hands or feet.  They can be involuntary like those in our blood vessels or intestines. Heart muscle forms a third type of muscle that can pump away for a life time without prolonged rest. By contrast imagine doing billions of pushup exercises without tasking a rest! There are no rugged individualist cells that can transform themselves as they wish.  Tired of being an epithelial cell?  Try being a nerve cell or a muscle cell. Sorry, you can’t.  The closest thing to being a rugged individualist for one of my cells would be if it became a tumor cell. It would respect no boundaries; it would spread out and metastasize.  It would from colonies. But it would also kill me if it got away with being an unregulated or untreated cancer.


        Now shift mental gears.  Think of society, our own American society.  We have over 300 million people living here.  To make society work we become wage earners (white collar or blue collar), we provide services (teaching, law, medicine, banking, and ministry).  We also provide governance (elected and appointed officials and self appointed plutocrats who purchase influence).  We provide entrepreneurs (from Mom and Pop shops to major corporations or cartels).  We farm. Unlike a living person like me, a society is not an individual entity.  There are states with regional differences.  There are differences between rural and urban living. There are inequalities of wealth at birth (some born poor and others born rich). There is mobility for some (or going from rags to riches as we like to believe).  Rugged individualists are numerous.  Some are like cancers and they leave a wake of ruin from those they oppress, exploit, or destroy (economically). Others are just extremely talented as artists, performers, writers, or investors. All the cells of a human body require roughly the same amount of oxygen, metabolic nutrient, and waste removal.  Humans in society vary enormously in attaining both basic needs and opportunities. When societies have too much of inequality, discrimination, elitism, neglect, or sexism, societies can suffer and experience revolutions or cease their influence like fallen empires. This is why “the body politic” is a mischievous term.  This is why calling a corporation an individual person is troublesome. Analogies have their values for teaching but they should not be confused with the complexities of communities that science and reason reveal about their composition and functions.          

No comments:

Post a Comment